Educational Ethics

What we think about the College Admissions Scandal.

Educational Ethics

These past couple of weeks, people have been talking about Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, but not about their acting careers. They, along with 48 others, have been indicted on federal charges because of their involvement in various college admissions scams. These scams have involved fake ACT and SAT proctors and administrators, fabricating athletic records and ability, paying money, and a fake charity headed by William Rick Singer all to get their children into college.

We think there are numerous, legal ways these people could have accomplished the same goal of college admission. These include, but are not limited to: donations to the school directly, legacy admissions, test prep, and early decision applications. All of these increase the chances that the student will be admitted, and favors rich and white students. Though we don’t like these advantages, they could have been a viable alternative to committing a crime.

As a result of this scandal, the universities involved in the scandal are using their financial gain for many various purposes such as scholarships for less privileged students, or donating it to real charities. Lori Loughlin was fired from the cast of “Fuller House,” and all of her Hallmark productions have been pulled. One of her daughters, Olivia Jade, who was already a successful social influencer, had her partnership with Sephora pulled.

In addition to the crimes committed, we believe that the parents demonstrated that they did not believe in their children. They did not encourage them to try their hardest and try to succeed on their own. We believe if students cheat their way through high school, cheat to get into college, and cheat their way through college, they will always try to cheat their way through life, which will not teach them to be self-reliant.