The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

School dances: what’s an acceptable price to spend on attire?

Everybody knows homecoming and prom are super expensive.

Dresses and suits on average cost about more than $100 at local stores. Even renting a suit is expensive. Some selected students give their opinions on what they spend and why they spend the amount that they do.

We’ll start with the thrifty junior Madisyn Hill, who had creatively crocheted her dress for homecoming.

“The dresses are so expensive now,” she said. “I can’t afford those prices.”

She mentioned how it had taken her some time to make it, but it was worth the price.

“Yarn nowadays isn’t as expensive as buying a whole $200 dress,” she said. “And get the yarn from Hobby Lobby, it’s the good one.”

Along with some good tips on how and what to do to make your dress from scratch, Hill also makes a lot of her clothes. It’s a good way for you and your wallet to have fun.

Other students like to not break the bank but don’t have the creative brain like Hill.

“Personally, I just buy polos, jeans and shoes so I would say (I spend) around $350,” Angel Castillo said. “The cost mostly from polo shirts that can cost about $150.”

Castillo doesn’t spare expenses for a fun time out, because he likes to party with a great fit.

Yarn nowadays isn’t as expensive as buying a whole $200 dress.

— Madisyn Hill

Personally, I spend about maybe $50 on homecoming. For snowball and MORP (if I go) I just reuse dresses I’ve already worn.

Now for Prom I want to go all out. It’s the first prom for most of us juniors and I personally want to make it the best.

I’ve always dreamed about high school when I was younger; granted I was severely disappointed when I got here, but this is one thing I can make a great experience for myself, and so can you.

I suggest you readers do the same. High school experience is honestly a really bad one, but everyone seems to light up at dances, so why not make it a fun night.

Every night after homecoming, I’ve always had a good story. Driving to restaurants with a million people stuffed in the same car, everyone laughing and eating adequate food, but we don’t care because it’s 2 a.m.: Good times.