OPINION: TWIRP Week misogynistic, shows backwards gender values

Sawyer Davis-Magnuson, Editor-In-Chief

TWIRP Week, also known as The Woman Is Required to Pay week, is outdated.

The North Platte High School student council have decided to put TWIRP week to an end starting next year, according to advisor Josh Bruck.

TWIRP week originates from Sadie Hawkins Dances.

The original notion that Sadie Hawkins dances were feminist is disgusting in today’s society.

The dance is based on the character Sadie Hawkins from a comic by Al Cap in 1938.

Sadie was considered a horribly ugly character whose appearance frightened all men away, so they declared Sadie Hawkins day.

On this day, Sadie would chase all unmarried men and if she caught one, they had to marry her. The dance was named after her, because the traditional gender roles would be flipped. Girls would ask guys to the dance.

This not only encourages unrealistic beauty standards and causes girls insecurity about physical appearance, it also encourages misogyny.

It implies that women must be asked by men, instead of vice-versa.

The world has changed a great deal since 1938, so Sadie Hawkins did not age well.

TWIRP week is rooted in Sadie Hawkins and has inherited its idiosyncrasy.

This year, NPHS Student Council representatives announced TWIRP week and its daily theme leading up to MORP (backward prom) on the announcements.

Everyday ranged from “buy your boyfriend waffles,” to “take your boyfriend to a movie.”

This is not inclusive of LGBTQ+ students.

The week discriminates against same sex couples since there is not a traditional male role and female role in the relationship.

Furthermore, this enforces an outdated stereotypical gender role.

Many fail to acknowledge gender norms in today’s society, though they are still prevalent.

Gender norms have caused harm to millions of girls and boys around the world.

This is seen in healthcare, education, income inequality, and even an inconsiderate spirit week.

Although the motive for the spirit week was likely in good nature, its result was quite the contrary.

Ending TWIRP week will not only end the negative effects associated with the week, it will also open up the eyes of people to misogyny in our school.

Hopefully, the end will send a message to students and the community that we must take action against outdated gender stereotypes.