COVID-19: A year in review

This+weeks+COVID-19+risk+dial.+The+dial+was+updated+by+the+West+Central+Health+Department+on+March+19.+

JLAB

This week’s COVID-19 risk dial. The dial was updated by the West Central Health Department on March 19.

Sophia Walsh, Editor in Chief

Mar. 12 marked the one year anniversary since North Platte High School closed its doors to students and faculty after the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic reached North Platte.

This week’s COVID-19 case update. The information was updated by the West Central Health Department on March 19.

The abrupt ending of last year’s school year caused school activities and experiences to be cut short, leaving many students and faculty in a state of confusion. Many noticed that the things they missed the most were what they expected least to have an impact on them.

“I missed hanging out with my friends, going to the movies, saying hello to my teachers,” said freshman Zoe Brown. “The things that you didn’t think you would miss, you missed.”

While many students were excited to get back to school after not being able to connect with friends, and family throughout the quarantine, they were also wary of what would come next in their 2021 school year.

“I was worried that we wouldn’t be able to continue some old classes that we had in the year before, and I was worried about if we would get shut down again and have to go to online school,” said sophomore Ella Downey.

The West Central Health District lowered the dial down to yellow for the first time in multiple months. This means that health restrictions still in place may be loosening, especially for NPHS.

Last year, the graduating class of 2020 missed out on their senior prom. Despite not having a Homecoming or Snow Ball dance, This year’s group of seniors will be able to attend a recently announced prom. While the dance will be held, more restrictions will be in place to maintain the safety of those attending.