The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

Key Club flips pancakes for veterans

Lizeth+Rodriguez-Sanchez+flips+a+pancake+at+the+pancake+feed.+
Courtesy photo
Lizeth Rodriguez-Sanchez flips a pancake at the pancake feed.

North Platte High School Key Club members volunteer their time to help and say thanks to the people who need it.

A few Key Club members volunteered at Jefferson Elementary by helping out on a pancake dinner for the veterans. This event lasted about two and half hours.

Secretary Brianna Romero was one of the volunteers. Romero believes volunteering is a really good idea for anybody to do.

“Volunteering for me makes me feel good, because I am helping other people to benefit them and not benefiting myself,” Romero said.

Being able to help people that need it is what enticed her to join Key Club.

“We put on the Veteran’s Day pancake dinner so the veterans could see that we appreciate them and wanted them to be noticed,” she added. 

Karley Epp was another volunteer at the pancake dinner.

Her opinion on volunteering is that she thinks it’s good to help our community and that it’s just good to do things for people she normally wouldn’t do.

What motivates her to keep participating in Key Club is all the people she is around.

Emily Hasenauer is a co-sponsor along with Emily Kearney.

Hasenauer thinks it is a great way to get out into the community. She stays motivated to keep working with Key Club because she absolutely loves what they do.

“We also have an amazing group of kids this year that are very motivated to help out,” Hasenauer said.

Hasenauer’s kids go to Jefferson Elementary School, who puts on the dinner, along with their Parent Teacher Organization (PTO).

Hasenauer has also been a part of that PTO for many years, so she has always known about it.

But they needed more volunteers, so her and some of the Key Club members offered their services.

The environment there was all positivity, happiness and people having fun.

The veterans and their families were there, along with some students and just anyone who wanted to be there.

There was music, games, and members helped make the pancakes.

When the pancakes were done, the veterans got to go first.