The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

StuCo food drive brings in highest amount ever

Kenedi+Schroeder+sorts+items+for+the+canned+food+drive.+
Carmen Vasquez-Cosme
Kenedi Schroeder sorts items for the canned food drive.

The NPHS Canned Food Drive is a grade by grade competition that collects non-perishable items for the food pantries in the surrounding areas with the goal of providing food and essentials to those pantries.

With each of the donations given there were points assigned to each item. These point totals have a reward associated with them. With the highest goal being Principal Cory Spotanski getting tased at 175,000 points.

The food collected in the two week competition was distributed to four pantries being Salvation Army, NPHS, St. Patrick’s High School and Grace Ministries.

Along with the NPHS, Madison Middle School helped with the food drive.

Gracie Persinger, Tuesday Allen and Advisor Josh Bruck talk at the canned food drive. (Carmen Vasquez-Cosme)

NPHS racked up 93,000 points this year, just short of the school wide goal of 175,000 points. Students raised 75,673 points last year.

“This is one of our most successful Canned Food Drives we’ve had. We ended up bringing just shy 93,000 points. The Student Council kids were extremely busy all day. We can thank the Grandal Family for bringing in more food collectively than any other person or group. (The) Grandal’s were responsible for 37,000 of those points.” Student Council Advisor Joshua Bruck said.

The winning class was the sophomores with 41,74 points.

The junior class was second with 8,714 points.

The freshman class was third with 5,318 points.

Lastly, the senior class ranked last with 3,700 points.

The points raised by the students reached 50,876 points and the other points came from local distribution centers and Madison Middle School.

Although NPHS didn’t reach their goal for the 2023 Canned Food Drive, it reigns successful to the families in need of necessities for the Holiday Season.

“We have really good plans for next year. We’re going to have really cool prizes or goals to work up to,” Junior Student Council Secretary Olivia Dobesh said. “We’re going to completely redo the whole thing next year and hopefully involve the elementary schools and middle schools in it.”