The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

Operation: Snowball Switcherooski

Student Council’s Snowball dance changes to December date
Reegan+Nickerson+and+Addyson+Vahle+dance+at+Snowball+on+Dec.+1.+
Mia Campbell
Reegan Nickerson and Addyson Vahle dance at Snowball on Dec. 1.

The NPHS student council changed the date of Snowball after activity conflicts.

Previously, the goal was to have Snowball in late January, like usual, but there were a lot of activity conflicts, so administration decided to change the date to late March.

Dawson Tucker and a friend laugh at Snowball. (Mia Campbell)

After student council representatives approached Advisor Josh Bruck about the dates, requesting the casual dance that was in December to switch with  the March Snowball, a decision was made. Enter Operation Snowball Switcheroozki.

There were several reasons for flipping the dances around. One reason was that late March is getting into prom season, and having two formal dances close is “unrealistic” for students’ apparel costs, StuCo students said.

Another reason is that Snowball is usually filled with holiday cheer and winter decorations. Although March still has snow, the representatives decided it would not be the same.

Since the dance is before Christmas, the dance committee decided to make it a Christmas-Winter Wonderland.

“I’m really excited for Snowball. We are planning a lot of really cool decorations,” Secretary Olivia Dobesh said.  “The dance committee and I have been working really hard to figure out all the decorations.”

Another difference from previous years, is that the dance took place in the gym, instead of the commons. This was due to the Clash in the Commons wrestling tournament happening after school the day of the dance.

Kourtnie Bokoskie, Abby Dimmit and friends dance at Snowball on Dec. 1. (Mia Campbell)

“The original plan for the December dance was to be like a sock-hop,” Bruck said.

The dance in March will now be the sock hop, with a different theme each year. The theme for this year’s sock hop is going to be a Jungle Safari type.

After the dance, many students had the collective idea that the atmosphere felt very different from past Snowballs. Students said this in both positive and negative ways. It is unclear whether the location or date change had any effect on the dance’s atmosphere.

Despite all the changes, one thing remained: anticipation.

“I love giving the opportunity for kids to cut loose and have fun with people they don’t typically hang out with,” Bruck said.