The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

Why did the Turkey Cross the Road?

Female turkey being homey around Fourth Street
Ariel Flaming
Gabby Gobbles pecks some bugs from a car on Fourth Street outside Merrick’s.

Gabrielle Mildred Gobbles arrived on Fourth Street in early October of 2023.

Gobbles is a turkey from the North Platte area and has been affecting nearby businesses along Fourth Street.

Many students who work in the area nicknamed the turkey “Gabi,” “Gobbles” and “Mildred” with her full name being “Gabrielle Mildred Gobbles.” This turkey arrived just before the Thanksgiving season.

Gobbles has been reported pecking at vehicles parked at the establishments on this road. This turkey has been known to cause mischief to the customers and workers on Fourth Street.

Some of the people working along Fourth Street have noticed Gobbles’ habit with crossing the street while cars are passing, which in a sense, is a real-life interpretation of “Crossy Road.”

The goal of the game is to cross the road without getting hit by oncoming traffic. Gobbles has been seen doing this on a multitude of occasions.

North Platte High School junior Ariel Flaming is a waitress at Merricks, a restaurant Gobbles frequents.

“She truly made herself at home,” Flaming said. “She (has) been getting on top of people’s cars; she pooped on a person’s (car) hood.”

This is just the beginning of her shenanigans, and it seems like it won’t be the last.

Gobbles has also appeared at the Eagle Radio Station on Fourth Street, with the employees originating her nickname Mildred.

Gobbles has been seen pecking at the dead bugs on the employee’s bumpers which has been a benefit for the Eagle Radio team.

The employees of the surrounding areas have bribed Gobbles with food to keep her from crossing the road; her favorite food being mealworms.

“We haven’t been feeding her (human food), but we were trying to come up with a way to get her to not cross the street. I’ve discovered her favorite thing to eat…dehydrated mealworms.” Angie Kerr, the administrative assistant at Eagle Radio said, “She really needed protein. So when  she looks like she’s heading for the street around noon we toss a few and see if we can get her to stay over here for a while.”

Gobbles has wandered the entirety of Memorial Park, roosting in the trees, Kerr said.

“She seems to have made this area of town her own,” Kerr said.