Dawgs at State

Sophia Walsh, Editor in Chief

Sophia Chingren
Senior Karsyn Buttler runs bases at their varsity softball tournament. This was Buttler’s last year, and her third year making State. “We went in confident and gave it our all” said Buttler.
Coleman Riggins
Sophmore Baylee Evarts runs at the 2018 GNAC meet. Evarts’ first time at state proved to be a tough, but memorable experience with the team placing tenth in state. “I didn’t expect to do that well,” said Evarts “It was pretty exciting!”

One school, four State qualifying sports teams. This year, North Platte High got the chance to send softball, tennis, cross country and girls golf to the Nebraska State competition.

On October 11, the boys’ tennis team competed at the State meet in Lincoln. Senior Avery Munson went 25-12 during the season landing him the 10th spot in the singles division. After winning his first round against South Souix City, but fell to Adams Central in the second round.

Girls softball played number one ranked Elkhorn for their first game. The Antlers came out strong, scoring five runs in the second inning. Then North Platte amassed four runs in the fifth and sixth innings, but were held scoreless in the seventh which led to their close 5-4 loss to Elkhorn.

At the Norfolk Country Club the girls golf team placed second with a plus 70 total par gross. Sophmore Baylee Steele ends this year with a par of 83 putting her in fifth place in the state.

This year, the State cross country meet was held at the Kearney Country Club, where the Bulldog girls placed 10th. Freshman Evelyn Blaesi had North Platte’s best time this year for girls cross country at 21:11.6. Junior Joel Bradley was the only boy to place for State and came back home with a run time of 18:11.5.