The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

NPHS alum to be inducted to College Football Hall of Fame

NPHS Alumni Danny Woodhead will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in December 2024.

The National Football Foundation and ESPN announced the 2024 Hall of Fame Class on Jan. 8. The induction ceremony will be at the 66th National Football Foundation Annual Awards in Las Vegas on December

As a senior at NPHS, Woodhead graduated Nebraska’s Class A leading rusher with 2,037 yards and 31 touchdowns, Nebraska Gatorade Football Player of the Year, Huskerland Report’s player of the year, and the Lincoln Journal Star and Omaha World Herald’s all-class offensive captain.

After graduating, Woodhead moved onto Chadron State College to play as the Eagles’ running back from 2004-2007.

At Chadron State, Woodhead won two Harlon Hill Trophies after being college football’s all-time leading rusher. He finished his college career with rushing 7,962 yards, rolling up 9,480 all-purpose yards and having scored 109 touchdowns.

Woodhead’s mother, Annette, and father, Mark, who worked at Washington Elementary as a P.E. teachers were also graduates of Chadron State.

While in college, Woodhead was also awarded for his academic excellence. As a senior in 2007, he was named NCAA Division II’s National Scholar-Athlete. Additionally, he graduated with a double major in health and physical science education and math major and a 3.72 GPA.

After Chadron State, Woodhead went on to play 11 games with the New York Jets then spent three years with the Patriots. During his time as a Patriot, he scored 5 touchdowns, rushed 547 yards and caught a touchdown pass from Tom Brady in Super Bowl XLVI in 2012.

In his first year with the San Diego (now Los Angeles) Chargers, Woodhead caught 76 passes for 605 yards and six touchdowns. He continued to play with them for two more years. An ACL injury ended his 2016 season, however.

Due to more injuries, he was only able to play eight more games for the Baltimore Ravens before he retired in 2018. His NFL career resulted in him playing 101 games, 32 touchdowns, having rushed 517 times and catching 300 passes.

Sources say 5.7 million people have played or coached college football and 0.02% of them have been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. Woodhead will soon be the only Division II college football player inducted.