The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

Winter warriors tradition spans 25 years

Winter+Warrior+runners+gather+together+during+a+run.+
Courtesy photo
Winter Warrior runners gather together during a run.

Winter Warriors is a tradition at North Platte High School that some might not have ever heard of, if they aren’t in the running scene.

But for those who do enjoy running, Winter Warriors is an outlet for those runners during the winter months.

“Winter Warriors was started many years ago for an opportunity for kids to safely run in the winter. It is also utilized as a way to stay in shape while being active with others during the months that it is tough to stay motivated due to weather outside.”

The participants meet everyday after school with coaches for the running plan for the day.

This year, there are about 15 runners who show up everyday.

Winter Warriors was created over 25 years ago with former coach Mike Maguire.

For most of the time Winter Warriors has existed, girls have not run. In the last couple of years, more girls have begun to run in Winter Warriors.

Within Winter Warriors, the runners have traditions that occur weekly and annually.

“Fridays are fun Fridays where we do a short run and then a game at the end. The kids seem to enjoy it and it is fun to participate in all kinds of different weather,” Coach Jake Hasenhaur said.

While the students don’t run as a group over Christmas break much, they do a celebration beforehand.

“I love RANPACT, which means Run Around North Platte At Christmas Time. It’s really fun, because we got to look at the Christmas lights and we got to have cookies and hot chocolate afterwards,” freshman Mary Neilson said.

For other participants, the enjoyment comes from the every-day routines.

“I always enjoyed the camaraderie of Winter Warriors. I’ve benefited for it by getting to know my teammates better, and having the opportunity to progress my running while others might take it off,” junior Keagan Hartman said. “My favorite part of Winter Warriors is just the small things everyday.