Intramural Interest?

Clay Stone, Sports Editor

Competition, aggression, but more than anything else… fun! These are some the main components valued in an intramural sport. “You get to compete, but you also don’t have to worry about if you did your best or whatever because it’s just for fun,” said senior Caleb Horne. The intramural sports that you may already know that take place in our high school are basketball in the fall/winter and volleyball in the spring. But what if you’d rather have a change? What if you want to introduce a new sport to the high school’s intramural sphere? There is a step-by-step process and it can be done by any NPHS student.

According to Athletic Director Marc Mroczec, he first step is that you need to generate interest. If you’re the only one who wants to play a sport then it’s not going to pass this first stage. So text out to your friends, spread the news that you want to get this thing going and get lots of people behind you.

Secondly, you need to find a “sponsor.” Sponsor is in air quotes because you might think a sponsor is someone who will loan you cash to get you started or pay for the competitions, but in reality this type of sponsor is just a teacher who is willing to put in the time to oversee the intramural competition and make sure no one is cheating. P.E. teacher Laura Miller is the current sponsor for intramural volleyball. “I’m the head volleyball coach, and I have a lot of passion for the sport,” Miller said. “Everyone can play, and it’s co-ed. Although I sponsor, I don’t have to enforce a lot of rules, I just supervise and watch the kids have a lot of fun.”

Lastly, you need to submit your ideas and your sponsor to Mroczec and he will either accept or deny the request after reviewing whether or not it has required support. If your submission is denied, then it must not have met the interest requirements. Maybe it’s better off as a sport with a few friends. Or, if it’s the sponsor that you’re lacking, don’t give up! Keep asking around and you may get the desired results.

About the Writer
Clay Stone, Sports Editor

My name is Clay Stone, this is my junior year, and I’m getting in my third year of journalism this year, now sitting in the role of sports editor. I...