Snoozin’ on NPHS

88 percent of NPHS students are sleep deprived.

There are only a few things that humans need to survive: food, water, oxygen, and sleep. Most kids at North Platte High School seem to neglect the last item on the list of survival. Sure, some people seem to be just fine to stay up all night and get only 30 minutes of sleep, but living a sleep-deprived life will lead to more problems than most people realize.

Close to half of the students at NPHS consider getting a good night’s rest an essential part of life. However, 13.5 percent of students only get 1-3 hours of sleep a night on average. For example, freshman Justice Weber thinks that as long as she gets some sleep then she will be just fine. “I don’t see why it needs to be a ‘good night’s sleep,’” she said. One particular student doesn’t quite understand why people neglect sleeping. “I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want a good night’s rest,” senior Justin McQuillin said.

According to a school survey, most NPHS students tend to get 7-8 hours of sleep. Even though teens require at least 9 hours of sleep per night. In fact, less than 12 percent of students get more than 8 hours of sleep a night.

According to the Bulldoggers’ student survey, 47.2 percent of students take more than 30 minutes to fall asleep. Student’s say a busy life leaves them sleep deprived. “There’s not enough hours in the day between school, homework, and a social life,” senior Gabby Menghini said.

For some students sleep is very important. “Getting a good night’s rest is an absolute must for me,” junior Brandon Anderson said. The amount of sleep he gets can change his mood. “I get really agitated and on edge,” Anderson said. So you see, not everyone avoids their bedroom.

Even though sleep may seem like a minuscule part of a healthy life, it plays a bigger role than you may think. When you sleep, your subconscious comes to life while your conscious rests. Thoughts and ideas planted into your brain during consciousness get released into the world of dreams while you sleep. Resulting in an entirely new perspective, where anything is possible.