March Local Crime

Third-degree assault

Two NPHS teens were charged with third-degree assault after a fight broke out in woods class on Feb. 10, according to North Platte Police Resource Officer J. Johnson. He said the freshman,15, was antagonizing the sophomore, 16, before they began punching each other. The teacher broke up the altercation, and both boys were cited in the office, Johnson said. Each one could face up to six months imprisonment and/or $1000 fine for the Class II misdemeanor. They could also face up to 20 days out-of-school suspension for fighting in school, according to the NPHS handbook.

Possession of tobacco

A 14-year-old was arrested for possession of tobacco on Feb. 23 according to the North Platte police. Johnson said two NPHS teachers witnessed the freshman smoking an e-cigarette off of school grounds before school started. While the boy was questioned by the administration, it was discovered, the student had chewing tobacco in his mouth and back pocket. Johnson said the e-cigarette was not located.
Possession of tobacco is a class V misdemeanor and carries a penalty of a minimum of a $100 fine and mandatory participation in a diversion program. However, fines double for possession charges because NPHS is a state ordered tobacco free-zone. According to the NPHS student handbook, possession of drugs, tobacco or vapor products is at least an automatic five-day suspension.

Teen Crime at a Glance

Johnson said since February 1, high school students have been arrested in North Platte for the following crimes:

Third-degree assault – 3
Theft by shoplifting – 1
Criminal mischief -3
Uncontrollable juveniles – 5
Minor in possession of alcohol – 1
1 curfew – 1