Chemistry Road Show

IMG_9768 (3)
Picture taken by Gracie Morgan. Senior Jerome Seck pours liquid nitrogen on the ground causing the liquid to disperse on the ground.

BOOM! There was an explosion in an elementary school. Are we under a terror attack? Nope. That’s just chemistry teacher Todd Ascherl’s Chemistry Road Show motivating young students to learn more about science.

Last December, at the end of the semester, most were excited for the upcoming Christmas break. Yet for Ascherl’s Chemistry II class, it was time to hit the road – literally.

High school students wowed the younger generation by showcasing how chemicals work.  Each student group performed their own individual experiments like using potassium chlorate to make flaming gummy bears and lit bubbles on fire.  Senior Ethan Darling demonstrated the dangers of mixing oxygen and fire.  “We blew grain dust through a tube.  As soon as the grain dust mixed with the air, it causes an explosion.”  He said the the kids loved it! They oohed and awed.

Ascherl said the students go on tour for two weeks every December.  They performed for five elementary schools.  He said they do these shows for the younger generation to get them more interested not only in learning more about science, but to also keep kids motivated to stay in school.