Guide to getting the girl this homecoming

Season Wagner

Savannah Larsen models homecoming dresses.

Nate Merz, Staff Writer

Hey guys, can you hear the buzzing sound at North Platte High? There’s a lot of chatter in the hallways and around lunch tables about who you should text and who you should ask to the first big dance of the year. Homecoming is October 16th. You know how it goes. Senior Drew Yoshida kicked it off this year when he rolled a baseball to his potential date saying, “I might strike out asking but…” Then he popped the HoCo question. (She said yes, of course.) Easy as pie, right? There’s more to it than that.

There’s no point trying unless you know you like each other. Junior Levi Wilson said he likes it when out of nowhere a girl asks to text him. “I’ll say yeah, you can text me. I’m not going to be rude about it because I wouldn’t want a girl to do that to me.” You could always start the conversation by texting your smooth-move “Hey, What’s up?” first. If you don’t want to rely on the girl letting you know she’s interested, you can just get the guts, and ask for her number yourself. Wait, who are we kidding?! You know you’re too nervous to do that.

Now should you ask her to the dance? No way, it’s too soon. Junior Trevon Weaver texted a girl for a day and a half and then went to lunch with her. ”I was testing the water,” he said. “She seems pretty cool…someone I could hang out with.” Just so everyone knows, personality scores big. Weaver said the ideal date likes to have fun, is laid back and is someone you can get along with. “Looks matter, but it’s not the most important thing,” he said. “I’d rather go with a nice girl and a fun one,” Wilson said.

Does your potential date meet the criteria? Then you’re ready for the big ask. Don’t be worried about rejection. “You pretty much know who’s going to ask who,” said Weaver. He said by the time you ask a date, “they’re pretty much aware you’re going to ask them.” Wilson said it’s not too tough. “Girls will hint that they want you to ask them.”

In the old days, you could just ask a girl out and show up at her door on time. Nowadays, you have to come up with a big way to ask her, pictures included! Most guys make a sign. Not artistic? No problem. You can go the Wilson-way and have a cheerleader make the poster for you. Weaver said most people make a sign and get flowers. “You ask her whenever you see her,” he said. “Just do it!” junior Will Phillips said. “Just make sure that you have flowers too!” Don’t forget half the ask is publicity. Sophomore Jesse MacMillan said posting your pic to Instagram is important, especially “if it was a clever way of asking.”

If you’re too shy to ask in person, sophomore Ethan Gastineau is in the same boat as you. “I’m just going to email her,” he said.

Can’t cough up the courage? Go solo. Thomas Hoatson doesn’t think he is going to ask anyone to the dance; he is just going with friends or by himself. “It might be awkward having to be with someone the whole night, and it would be more fun with just your friends.” said Hoatson.

Hope you all have a great Homecoming! If all else fails, I’m sure Bailey Hiser won’t mind if you tag along with her.