ACT Advisory

Season Wagner, Staff Writer

An hour in and you’ve already used two pencils. You start thinking to yourself “what is the point?” Then you remember this may be the one thing that gets you that scholarship. Another long hour later, you’re finished. The only thing left to do is wait.

Preparing and taking tests can be hard, especially tests that are as important as the ACT, SAT, and PSAT. These tests are so crucial because they determine your college readiness, and for many colleges, they are what determine if you get accepted. Most students take these tests when they are juniors and seniors, but you can start preparing for them long before exam day. “Take classes that challenge you and take all your high school classes seriously,” said North Platte High School counselor Pam Drake. She also suggested doubling up on classes such as math, so you can take advantage of dual-credit college classes while you’re still in high school. Drake said you can also download test apps to your phone to get practice questions emailed to you daily. She said paying for practice tests may also be worth the money in the long run. Here at NPHS, juniors also have an opportunity to take a free ACT test, whereas at other schools, kids don’t have that opportunity. The ACT test costs $39.50 and the SAT costs about $50. “Right now, in October, I have about 35 kids signed up [for the ACT],” said Drake. She said you can also take the test at Mid-Plains Community College.

Senior Danielle Peartree said taking these tests can be very nerve-racking. “You stress up to the night before the test,” says Peartree. “I might have to take NyQuil the night before!” She said you can never really start preparing yourself too early for these tests. “My freshman year, I had juniors and seniors telling me I need to start prepping now,” said Peartree. One option to improve your score, is to pay for professional tutoring. Sylvan Learning Center in North Platte or John Baylor Prep online offers test preparation classes. You can also hire someone individually. Peartree said she took prep classes with Brenda Peterson.

What if the ACT, SAT, and PSAT doesn’t affect your ability to get into college? For the students who receive the Kearney Bound scholarship, this is a reality. Even though the Kearney Bound kids take these tests, it doesn’t determine whether they get to keep the full-ride scholarship or not. “Not having to rely on the ACT or SAT test to ensure I get into college or get a scholarship, makes me much more appreciative that I have Kearney Bound,” says sophomore Brianna Taft. She said taking tests that determine so much for you as far as education goes can be a stressful thing. “It stresses me out taking tests in class, let alone tests that determine your future,” says Taft.

Take Peartree’s advice and make it easier on yourself, start studying now. Even if you are a freshman, an early start may be key to getting your ideal score in the future.