Crime at a glance

Possession of marijuana, tobacco, and vapor products

Two North Platte High School teens face drug charges after an extensive K-9 search at the high school on November 10 according to authorities. School Resource Officer J. Johnson said the junior and sophomore boys were each charged with possession of marijuana, drug paraphernalia, tobacco and vapor products after law enforcement agencies searched school lockers, cars in the parking lot and nearby streets. Johnson said the 16 and 17-year old boys each allegedly had less than one ounce of marijuana in the vehicles, and it’s the first offense for both.

The penalty for first-time possession of marijuana is a $300 fine and may require a drug education course. Possessing drug paraphernalia can carry a minimum fine of $100. Possession of tobacco is a class V misdemeanor and carries penalty of a minimum of a $100 fine and mandatory participation in a diversion program. However, fines double for possession charges because NPHS is a state ordered tobacco free-zone. According to the NPHS student handbook, possession of drugs, tobacco or vapor products is at least an automatic five day suspension.

Terroristic Threats and Disturbing the Peace

A senior threatened to harm a NPHS teacher on the morning of November 3 according to North Platte Police. Johnson said the 18-year-old was causing a disruption in class. After being asked to leave, he continued to yell in the learning center, punched lockers and threatened bodily harm other teachers in a nearby hallway. The young man was cited for terroristic threats and disturbing the peace.