The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

Meet the Staff

This is the fourth of a series introducing NPHS’ 18 new staff members.

As all of the teachers head into their third term at North Platte High School, The Bulldogger introduces three more of its new teachers.

Lindsey Godfrey

Lindsey Godfrey teaches freshman physical science. She decided to teach science because she always liked learning how things work and being able to apply content to real life situations.

She married her high school sweetheart, Joe, in July 2020.

Godfrey has one daughter, Joselyn, and she will turn one on Feb. 24, along with a dog named Duke.

She and her husband both were born and raised in North Platte.

After they finished college at UNK, they decided that when they started a family they wanted to be closer to our family.

This is her fifth year teaching. She started her teaching career in the Fall of 2019 at Adams Middle School as an eighth grade science teacher, and recently moved up to the high school to teach ninth grade physical science.

Her favorite hobbies are playing tennis, gardening, and crafting. She makes custom signs and jewelry in her spare time.

Her favorite food is Fiesta Lime Chicken and her favorite show is Big Bang Theory.

Phyllis Johnson

Phyllis Johnson is from North Platte.

Johnson teaches special education for sophomores and juniors.

She decided to teach special education because her stepdaughter had a lot of learning disabilities and then her sons had ADD.

She started out elementary and than got her endorsements for special ed.

She has been teaching for about 19 years.

She used to drive up to Wallace every day for the last six years, and before that, she was at Maywood.

This is her first year teaching at North Platte High School, but she has subbed for North Platte quit a bit in the past.

“It is nice not having to leave so early,” Johnson said.

She is married and has three kids two sons and a daughter.

Her favorite hobbies outside of teaching are crocheting and garage selling.

Her favorite food which is steak and her favorite show, movie, or books are Stephen King books and also mysteries and her favorite show is “The Natural,” which is about baseball people.

Another show she likes is “Days of Our Lives.”

Steve Miller

Steven Miller grew up and went to school in North Platte.

“My blood is blue and gold and I never thought I would end up back here,” Miller said.

He couldn’t wait to get out of school but after he lived in a few states he started to learn that everywhere is basically the same with different pros and cons.

Miller’s original thought was to be back in North Platte for a short time then move on to an activities director position.

But as it turned out he really liked teaching and coaching and didn’t see a need to move on.

Miller does not have any two-legged children but he does have quite a few four-legged children, has three in-a-half cats, and three dogs.

A pug, a beagador and an 8-month-old Chocolate Lab.

He is not officially married even though he feels like he is married.

“I am told that I need to make it official at some point,” he said. “She seems to bring it up more and more.”

Miller teaches physical science and has been coaching track at North Platte for 15 years.

He started as a science teacher at Adams Middle School before he moved to PE at Madison Middle School.

His love has always been in science and with the science needs that were open at NPHS, he decided that the time was right for him to get back.

He has taught in North Platte for 15 years but before that taught in Lincoln for two years.

Miller decided to teach physical science because he has always been fascinated at how the world works.

He got heavy into the biological sciences so that he could learn what it takes to become a better athlete.

“The great thing about science is that it is still true whether or not you believe in it,” Miller said.

He likes to work with his hands, trying to build things, trying to improve his skills.

Miller also enjoy listening to books.

Even though he thinks the typical taco and pizza are delicious, he will go out of his way to go to Panda Express; if not that, then Popeye’s spicy chicken.

Miller has a lot of favorite shows and movies but for him it all depends on what kick he’s on: It could go from Marvel movies to Supernatural, to “How It’s Made.”