The student news site of North Platte High School

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

The Bulldogger

Prieto second NPHS FFA member to receive state degree

Meet the Staff

April 19, 2024

Bulldogs of the Month

April 19, 2024

Henderson featured for Kids Klub

April 19, 2024

NPHS teacher to be represented in national magazine

North Platte High School’s Leah Purdy has been nominated and selected to be Nebraska’s representative in the next issue of SBO+ Magazine.

According to SBO+’s Facebook page, “School Band & Orchestra (SBO+) debuted in 1998 and is published monthly to the nation’s elementary, middle, and high school band and orchestra directors.”

Leah Purdy

Purdy is the choir teacher at NPHS. She also teaches junior high choir, as well as music appreciation and music theory at the high school.

“(Teaching music) is hard, with long hours and a lot of sleepless nights, worrying about the students you so quickly grow to love,” Purdy said.

It doesn’t seem to matter to Purdy.

“My door is always open, to literally any and every student who wants to make music,” she said, “whether they can sing or not, whether they can read music or not, there is always a space for them in my ensembles.”

Purdy is dedicated to her work as a teacher and as a mentor to her students.

“If you walk into any classroom or any public performance, it’s evident that she’s deserving of an award like this,” NPHS principal Cory Spotanski said.

This opportunity will give Purdy a voice to support and encourage people to join the music industry.

“If this opportunity gives me a voice, I want people to understand that music is just as important as any other subject,” Purdy said. “I want them to understand that it’s not just a ‘certain’ kind of kid that is in music. All people can and should make music.”

In addition to her current students, Purdy has multiple alumni doing careers other than music.

“I have had Division 1 and Division 2 athletes in my choirs and musicals and they have all said that they made lifelong friends and learned invaluable lessons becoming musicians,” she said. “I have former students who are now doctors, lawyers, accountants, pastors, teachers and literal rocket scientists: all who believe that music helped them get there.”

NPHS administration is proud of Purdy’s accomplishment.

“It’s an honor for any NPPS teacher to be nominated for something like this,” Spotanski said.