Stolen senior year: how COVID-19 wiped out rites of passage. (Sophia Walsh)
Stolen senior year: how COVID-19 wiped out rites of passage.

Sophia Walsh

Stolen senior year

Covid-19 pandemic wipes out rites of passage

March 20, 2020

The class of 2020 has been waiting 13 years to walk across the graduation stage. Yet, the COVID-19 virus threatens to steal that moment from seniors worldwide. 

Last night, North Platte Public Schools canceled the rest of the school year. Remote learning will be scheduled for PreK-11th grade students. Seniors will work online to finish their graduation requirements. “North Platte Public Schools have decided to take the necessary steps to continue in a precautionary manner and safeguard our 4,000 students, 700 employees, community, state and nation,” said superintendent Ron Hanson during a press conference today. 

Nebraska Portraits
Jack Carlson poses for his senior photo for the NPHS 2020 yearbook.

Many NPHS seniors are coming to terms with high school being abruptly over. Senior Jack Carlson has participated in several activities throughout his last four years. “I am part of the musical; it got postponed the night of dress rehearsal, and golf, track, soccer were all just getting started,” he said.

The soon-to-be-graduate said he loves to watch his friends at games and meets. “I can feel the emptiness of losing out on an activity you love to do,” he said.  

Shortly after the district called school off for the year, principal Scott Siegel reassured students and staff through a personalized video. “You guys are the generation that was strong enough to get through this as young people, you were the generation that was able to face obstacles,” he said.

The principal noted that many people are unsure and worried about losing their prom and graduation.“If possible there will be things that we can do to make sure you have some of the normal rites of passage with your school years,” he said.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends people limit their interaction to 10 people or less to slow the spread of Covid-19. “As the current CDC guidelines will not allow [prom and graduation] to occur, we are making alternate plans unless these guidelines are lifted,” said superintendent Ron Hanson.

Seniors feel these traditions are part of the experience that makes high school memorable. “We all are stressed and sad thinking about our senior year being taken away from us,” senior Hallie Godbey said.

unknown
Hallina Godbey poses for her senior photo for the NPHS 2020 yearbook.

Senior Carsten Brady is making the most out of the situation. “We don’t know if those events will be canceled or postponed,” he said. “I’m just trying to think of what I can do, not what I can’t do.”

unknown
Senior Carsten Brady poses for the 2020 NPHS yearbook.

Senior Hannah Fitzpatrick feels like this affects seniors more because they won’t get another year of high school. “This is it; this is what we’ve been looking forward to since our freshman year,” she said. “All our lasts that we’ve worked so hard for, we don’t get to complete.” 

Jeffrey Olson
Hannah Fitzpatrick poses for her senior photo for the NPHS 2020 yearbook.

Even though she’s disappointed, Fitzpatrick said the cancelations are necessary. Even though I’m bummed, I totally understand. It’s not worth endangering the lives of the sick and elderly,” she said.

Jayden Leal poses for her senior photo for the NPHS 2020 yearbook.

School ending early has made senior Jayden Leal think about all the “lasts” she will miss. “The idea that senior prom, graduation, skip day, the senior prank and so much more might not happen is really taking a toll on us,” she said.

The entire process is new for everyone Hanson said. “Please be patient, positive, and flexible as we pursue this new journey,” Hanson said.

View Comments(1)
About the Contributors
Photo of Priscila Mondragõn
Priscila Mondragõn, Managing Editor

My name is Priscila Mondragon and I am a Senior. This is my second year on the newspaper staff. I earned a Best of Sno award for my Stolen Senior Year...

Photo of Sophia Walsh
Sophia Walsh, Editor in Chief

Hi, I’m Sophia Walsh. I’m the Editor-In-Chief for The Bulldogger and I have been a part of the newspaper staff for four years. In the span of my newspaper...

The Bulldogger • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (1)

All The Bulldogger Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

Mrs OdleMar 20, 2020 at 6:11 PM

Great article. I’m sorry seniors. Your don’t deserve this.

Reply
1