Racing to get out of class

Current NPHS teachers share their athletic experience

Maria Garcia

Brooks Greene-

Football, basketball, and bowling are the sports that you will find on civics teacher Brooks Greene’s athletic resume from his high school days. After graduating from the University of Lincoln at Nebraska, he was inactive for several years until he began working at Curtis as the summer weights program instructor. “I started working out with the kids and doing the same training they were doing. From there, I noticed the progress and decided that I wanted to maybe try some local racing,” Green said. “Everything else started with me getting a cheap Walmart bike.” He started with 5K’s and then prepared himself for the local triathlon. Next thing he knew, he started training for the Iron Man race and would eventually end up doing three of those including one in Whistler, British Columbia in Canada. He also participated in a 100-miler run at Des Moines, IA during the summer of 2016, which took him 26 hours to complete. “Be willing to try something new. Force yourself to escape sedentariness,” said Greene.

Jake Hasenauer- 

Since he began at North Platte High School, gym teacher Jake Hasenauer was always very involved in sports. He played baseball and basketball, and ran for both the track and field and cross country teams. He went to York College on a scholarship to run cross country. When asked about his biggest accomplishments on his athletic career, he said, “Running the 4×8 at the State meet for track two different years during high school and in college, running at Nationals for cross country both my sophomore and senior year.” Hasenauer is the NPHS cross country head coach and is still active with sports and fitness in general. This past fall, he ran a couple of local 5K’s and runs 6 out of the 7 days of the week. “Living by example, that’s how I always feel. I want the athletes to give their very best so I have to give mine too,” he said.