Filed under People

Teens and Tiaras

NPHS teen to compete for Miss Nebraska

When you think of pageants, what comes to mind? Maybe it’s the glitz, the dresses and heels, or maybe it’s the glam, the hair and the makeup. However, that’s not all that goes into winning the sparkly crown.
Senior Whitney Miller competed at her first pageant when she was 16-years-old. “I work at Hirschfeld’s, so I always help girls get dresses. Finally, I was like, you know, I might as well go for it,” said Miller.

Miller’s first pageant took place in North Platte, competing in Miss Twin Rivers Pageant at Crowns and Gowns. After claiming a title, Miller was off to State. “I placed in the top eight [at State], and it gave me

a lot of confidence,” said Miller.

Later that year, Miller experienced a house fire that destroyed her family’s home. “That’s how my platform formed. It’s called ‘Choose Hope: Hold Onto Family and Friends,’” said Miller.

At her next pageant, she won the title Miss Douglas County’s Outstanding Teen. “Going through the house fire and being able to overcome adversity, and then being able to turn around and share with other people how to do that has really helped me in being more sure of who I am,” said Miller.

This October, Miller won the title “Miss Omaha” which will now advance her to compete for Miss Nebraska in June of 2019. “I was overwhelmed with excitement,” said Miller.

With it being senior year as well, Miller is also involved in Pacers and student council. “Senior year is a big year and then having that on top of it, I’m just excited. It’s a lot to prepare for but I know that as long as I’m sure of who I am as a person, then I’m ready,” said Miller.

For now, Miller will be preparing for Miss Nebraska. She will be participating in mock interviews, rehearsing her talent, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and working with community outreach. “It’s just such a great organization. Even just competing in it, you meet new people and it helps your self-confidence a lot,” said Miller.

Overall Miller expressed the thankfulness she has for jumping into the pageant industry and taking a chance. “I become more confident and sure of myself. That shows on stage,” said Miller.

About the Writer
Sophia Chingren, News Editor

hey hey HEY. I've been in news paper for a half a year. Add me on snap @sop08.