Filed under Sports

Big changes, bigger improvements

The cross country team got a new coach with a familiar face

Back to Article
Back to Article

Big changes, bigger improvements

Coach Jake Hasenauer (right) builds relationships with his athletes  as he runs along side them.

Coach Jake Hasenauer (right) builds relationships with his athletes as he runs along side them.

Avery Munson

Avery Munson

Avery Munson

This fall the North Platte Bulldogs got a new cross country coach with a familiar face. Head coach, and former Bulldog, Jake Hasenauer has come back to his roots to lead this team in a new direction. The past 2 years he has been the assistant coach at Gering High School. “That passion for the bulldogs and being able to be here is awesome,” Hasenauer said. “I was an assistant for Gering the last two years, so the opportunity to be the head coach was originally a dream of mine.”

When he came and talked to the team back in May athletes didn’t know what to expect after being under the previous coach for all their high school career. “I was a little skeptical just because it is my senior year with a new coach, it was going to be a little different.” Senior Corey Parsons said. Once Parsons went to the meeting and met him he felt comfortable and warmed up quickly to Hasenauer. Junior Jori Rogers had a good relationship with the last coach but realized it was time for change. “I was scared at first but, I knew we needed something new and someone who would encourage us as a team to get to state.” Rogers said.

He came into this season with a lot of enthusiasm to get the athletes back to having fun with the sport. Every practice he shows up and connects with each runner on a personal level. He runs with the athletes and checks on how they are feeling, what their goals are, and just talks to them about anything they want.

Hasenauer, along with the athletes, believe this is one of the closest knit teams they have been apart of. “One thing I can tell about this team is that we have a great family atmosphere, we are enjoying running and working hard. If you don’t have that and you don’t have the culture then you aren’t going to find the success.” Hasenauer said. Corey Parsons agreed with the coach saying that during his four years he has never been apart of a team so close.

So far , The change in coaching and team mentality has proven to work substantially with people cutting up to 3 minutes since last season. Senior Maceyn Howard ran a 26 min. 31.1 sec. 5,000 meter in the 2017 season. This year she is running a 23 min. 21.1 sec. 5K. Sophomore Aaron Franz has impressed the coach as well. “He was a 23 minute 5K runner last year and this year he is consistently running in the 19 minute range this year.” Hasenauer said.

With only 13 days until districts the team is feeling good about the race and ready to hopefully continue their season.

About the Contributor
Avery Munson, Layout Editor

Class of 2019.
2x State Journalism qualifier and letter winner.
3x State Tennis Qualifier.
3x varsity Track (3200m, 1600m) 2x letter winner
...