Filed under Opinion

Down for the count

Back to Article
Back to Article

Down for the count

As a freshman I’ve had good grades all year, A’s and B’s that’s me. But, as the school year trails on, I’ve had to fight and struggle to keep my grades as high as they were towards the beginning. Partly from being bored with what I was doing, along with stress and family drama.
Whatever the reason, the end of the year slip is something most of us know all too well. We try and struggle all year long just to get tired and ready for the latest summer break, and watch our grades slip through the cracks.
As for me, the slip didn’t really affect me until we came back after spring break when I realized how late in the year it was getting to be. We came back, and I could feel (or hear) my teachers’ frustration with not just me, but my whole class. Between restlessness and unfinished homework, we got more than a few lectures on this so called slip and how we all “needed to step up” and refocus our brains like we had all year.
Keeping grades high all year is definitely a hard task for a lot of students because we get unmotivated and overall tired with the repetitive tasks we’re given day in and day out. At one time, I didn’t really care about my grades slipping, but knew that if I wanted to get into the school I wanted, I’d need to maintain my grades and keep a good GPA. Sacrificing my sleep for school, I pushed myself to the limit getting homework done into the early morning hours, the latest being 4 a.m. Once I wake up, I down an energy drink or cup of coffee, and go to school with bloodshot, red eyes to start the process all over again.
I think I’ve picked up the pace and finally got back to my beginning of the year self. Some don’t get to this point and sometimes they just don’t care anymore.For me I’m a perfectionist. I like working hard, and in fact, I like the pressure that stands on your chest like an elephant because it pushes me to work harder and get better. I can always breathe later.

About the Writer
Sophia Walsh, Opinion Editor

I’m the Opinion editor and have been in newspaper for two years. I’ve lettered in journalism and plan to go to school for Journalism and Mass Communications!...