After shock

How do NPHS students feel after the Stoneman Douglas shooting?

After+shock

All anyone could talk about was the news of student and staff deaths.

On Feb. 14, alleged shooter Nikolas Cruz shot and killed 17 people while harming 14 at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida.This has been deemed one of the deadliest school shootings in history. The shooting raised questions across the nation about gun control, arming teachers, and other precautions needed to keep students and staff safe.

“I felt relatively safe [here before], but now it’s less,” said freshman Lilli Tobiason. “There’s no way to really prepare yourself.” Preparing for the worst is something everyone thinks needs to happen, most students saying drills and more security is the answer, even some suggested bullet proof glass.

What is NPHS planning? “I believe North Platte High is a safe school,” said principal James Ayres, “We have taken precautions the last couple of years to help make North Platte High School safe [like] limiting the ability of students to come and go from the building [as well as having] the school resource officer in our building.”

According to a survey conducted by The Bulldogger, only 39 percent of students who responded said they felt safe here before the shooting. Afterwards, it dropped to a staggering 30 percent. The tragedy in Florida has NPHS’s student body, like many others, feeling slightly less secure. The main statement made was that we should take any threats seriously and be able to report things we hear if need be.

“There is always a chance for a dangerous situation no matter what precautions are taken,” says Ayres.