Inclusive setting at NPHS

Students with multiple and severe disabilities are attending regular education gym classes.

The North Platte Public School District has already moved into a total inclusive setting at all schools, except for NPHS. Several weeks ago, though, the high school began taking their first steps towards the district’s goal, and students with more significant disabilities started participating in a regular education gym class. “It has been so successful for us at the elementary and middle school levels,” said Romshek.

Students and teachers are getting acquainted with the new adaptive gym class, but there are some significant differences between the classes Special Education Teacher Brian Jahnke teaches at the other schools versus NPHS. One example would be that at the other schools, gym classes are organized by grade level, so there’s usually only one student with disabilities per class. “So basically I’m working one-on-one integration with that student,” Jahnke said. At NPHS, in a single class, he supervises multiple students with multiple and severe disabilities. “That’s probably the biggest difference,” he said.

In the short time frame since the class has started, there have been great successes. “I really think it’s awesome for the [special education] kids. I feel like a lot of times the kids are singled out, but when they’re in here with all of the other kids, it brings out a whole new side of them,” junior student aid Jenna Hoover said. “There’s not just special needs kids in school, so I feel like [the regular education students] are learning some life skills too.” According to Jahnke, the regular education students have been a huge help in the transition. “The kids in Miller’s class are super receptive to helping us and working with our kids. It’s awesome to see,” he said.

Quincey Epley
Student grabs a new basketball and prepares to shoot a basket.

Despite making good progress, there have been some challenges for the inclusive setting as well. “We’re kind of just learning on the fly,” physical education teacher

said. She thinks the class started off pretty uncomfortable. “It’s a learning process. Some of the regular ed students are still feeling a little uncomfortable, but they’re becoming more and more comfortable as we go,” Miller said. “I think for myself, I am becoming more comfortable with this [too].” Regular education students have been adjusting to the changes too. Junior Seth Bargel said, “The first week, I was really uncomfortable with it. I don’t really have a problem with it now.”

“The downfall, to me, would be the numbers. There’s just too many of us at once, and I think that needs to change a little bit,” Jahnke said. “With such a large group, there are many concerns about the safety of all students.” He said the district and high school administration have been really helpful though. “They do listen when we have concerns and issues, and those have come up as far as safety and what not. They just let us kind of gear our classes to work for the safety of our students,” he said.

“Our point in all of this, is these students are integrated with their peers in the community… and we just really need to integrate them [in school] so they learn how to work from each other,” Romshek said. Jahnke said everyone being cognizant of the safety of all students and teachers involved. “Our ultimate goal is to give the kids the richest environment in school that we can give them. For some of the students, going into an inclusive setting is super positive be

cause they love that interaction,” Jahnke said. “We just have to be really cognizant of the situations we’re putting them in for the safety of everyone.”