Outstanding Stu Co

NPHS student council wins at State

NPHS Stu-Co Twitter

“One of the best decisions I’ve made was to take student council.” Livingston said.

On Monday, Nov. 20, the North Platte High School student council attended the Nebraska Association of Student Councils State convention. The convention was held in Kearney, Nebraska. The NPHS student council walked away with two awards: Outstanding Student Council 2017 and the Top Make-A-Wish Fundraiser. This is the 4th year that NPHS has won, with the donated proceeds coming mainly from the annual Make-A-Wish 5k. This is the first year that NPHS has won the Outstanding Student Council award. “It was a huge honor to receive it. I think it speaks volumes about the members of the student council,” president Jamon Davis said.

Student council adviser Kirk Livingston also won the Don Darnell award. “I started student council two years after I got here, and I made a commitment that I was going to keep it until I retired,” he said. This commitment, alongside a nomination from his own council, earned Livingston the award. “They’re recognizing you for all you’ve done in student council. It’s like a lifetime achievement award,” he said. After dedicating his time as the sponsor of student council, Livingston is retiring in May. “I’ve gotten the pleasure of being on student council for 28 years, and I’ve enjoyed every bit of it,” Livingston said.