Making the cut: High school students take roles in a movie shot in North Platte.

After three weeks of filming, the crew of the feature film, “The Substitution”, has left North Platte for good. After three weeks of filming, the crew of the feature film, “The Substitution”, has left North Platte for good.

40 high school students from North Platte and Sutherland acted in the feature film, “The Substitution”. The movie is about a substitute teacher who is having a bad day. The film was shot in various locations around North Platte, including the public library and Gary’s Super Foods.  Out of all the students, Jake French had the most time on set. “[French had] really terrific natural talent for being his first time in a feature film. He really knocked it out of the park,” Throwell said.

Auditions began September 12. After three weeks of filming, the crew finished shooting on September 30. Post-production will begin immediately, preparing it for film festivals. There, the movie will be evaluated and critiqued. Then it will have a chance to make it into theaters. The tentative date for a finished product is March of next year.

“The Substitution” is being produced by Zefrey Throwell and directed by Bob Byington. Byington grew up in Lincoln and has movies that can be seen on Netflix and Amazon. His most recognized film is “7 Chinese Brothers”, which you can catch on Netflix. Throwell has directed five films and is known for his short action documentary, “Woodland Concertina”.

The crew wanted to thank North Platte. “The people were incredibly gracious for opening their town and businesses to us,” Throwell said.

The producer has high expectations for the potential of his movie. “This is the best film ever made. We had fantastic talent, fantastic crew, and a magnificent location. And that’s the magic that creates a magnificent film,” Throwell said.