Explainer for the trainer

Avery Munson, Layout Editor

There’s a new face on the scene in the North Platte High School athletic department.  Thomas Ksiazek has taken over for Destri Milsap as the head athletic trainer for the Bulldogs. “I am most excited about getting to work with a variety of sports and athletes. Also, getting to manage the sports medicine how I feel will work the best,” Ksiazek said.

Ksiazek, who is originally from Columbus, Nebraska, has worked in sports medicine for 10 years, beginning in high school. “I was injured going into my freshman year [of high school], so I was around an athletic trainer a lot and became interested in it,” Ksiazek said. He aided the athletic trainer all four years of high school, four years while he worked towards his undergraduate degree, and two years while he achieved his Master’s. Though this year, Ksiazek will be the sole athletic trainer, rather than working below another trainer. He is looking forward to the new challenges that will come along with it.

Though Ksiazek’s not sure what he is going to face this year, he’s looking forward to see how he can find ways to go about those new challenges. “It seems like some days, my job duties are too many to list,” Ksiazek said. He does everything from getting an ice bag for an injured athlete, to preparing them for transport to the hospital. Although he is there to take care of the student’s physical health, he also has to maintain proper documentation and privacy laws regarding the students.

Ksiazek wants the students to know they shouldn’t be afraid to go and talk to him. “My job is to get them back going as quickly, but safely as possible,” Ksiazek said. He wants the students to be patient with him however, because he didn’t have much time to prepare for the season. “I am excited to start this journey and ready to see where it goes,” he said.