Dangerous Distractions

Josie Preece, Staff Writer

Doug Peterson knows what it’s like to say no to drugs. The State Attorney General turned down acid in eighth grade and a line of cocaine a few years later. Now, Nebraska’s top officer of the law wants teens to have the courage to say no too. Peterson spoke to the entire North Platte High School student body on Wednesday to warn them about  teen-dangers relating to drugs and social media.

Peterson shared his own history and professional experience with students explaining how drugs are more dangerous than they’re perceived to be, sexting extortion and online predators. He said he wants kids to understand how dangerous drugs can be, and how imperative it is for kids to have someone to talk to. “I think of my own life and someone has to be talking about it,” Peterson said.

Peterson said he was a normal high school student, and his friends pressured him to do drugs.  He said saying no was always natural to him, “I stayed drug free because I never wanted to disappoint my mom,” said Doug Peterson.

Students at NPHS were surprised how drugs like marijuana could give you mental disorders like schizophrenia. “I was shocked by the way it affects you,” junior Jacob Melchert said.

Peterson also warned students about cases where students have been blackmailed after sharing private photos and become targets to online predators posing as teens.  Junior Shaniece Epler said, “We should look into it more and be safe about it.”  Epler said she thinks about 70 percent of the student population engages in some sort of sexting, but less people should do it.  

Epler’s advice mirrors Peterson’s.  She said students should say no.  “It’s not hard to say no; just follow your heart.”