Dawgs fall to Minutemen

Will Stone, Sports Editor

Last Thursday, the Dawgs soccer teams traveled to Lexington to take on Class B’s second-ranked Minutemen. The Dawgs controlled the possession for most of the first half, but struggled to get viable scoring opportunities. Lexington was content to play defensive and clear the ball anytime NP got close. The back four for Lex effectively shut down North Platte’s leading scorer senior Ryan Letourneau, who entered the game with 10 goals in the team’s first three contests.
Letourneau was honored the day before the Lexington game by being included on MaxPreps.com’s National Boys’ soccer players of the week list. With nine other boys from different states, Ryan’s performance secured him a spot.
In the second half, Lexington started to push forward, getting off a couple shots on goal, but senior goalkeeper Will Phillips turned each away. In the 52nd minute, Lexington got the break they needed. Raymond Morales struck the ball perfectly from well outside the 18-yard box. The ball snuck in the top corner, just past Phillips’s outstretched hand.
From there, the Minutemen went back into their defense-only mentality, clearing every ball North Platte got close.
The Dawgs found one scoring opportunity late in the game, but the Lexington keeper laid out and stopped Letourneau’s attempt at the equalizer. With the loss, North Platte falls to 3-1 on the season.
The Lady Dawgs made the trip to Lexington on Thursday. Entering the game 3-0, the Dawgs had scored 15 goals on the season, and had seen 10 different girls find the net. Deep with scoring threats, the Dawgs continued their scoring barrage with three goals at Lexington.
Senior Kaylynn Kissinger, junior Sami Mauch, and sophomore Mei Hou all connected on shots for the Dawgs, en route to a 3-1 victory to improve to 4-0.
Both teams are back in action next at Hastings high school on Tuesday.