Keeping it fresh

Zak Folchert

Freshman Derrick Ramos surveys the court while walking the ball up the hardwood in North Platte’s 45-25 home win against Lexington on Dec. 13, 2016.

The 2019-2020 varsity boys basketball team has already begun preparing. For this year’s freshman class, their journey to State starts now, even though not a single player has suited up for varsity, or even junior varsity for that matter. “Our goal every year is the same. We want to build a good foundation for a team that they can build on when they start becoming varsity players in the next few years. Every year, our goal is to play at Pinnacle Bank Arena and that starts here,” freshmen boys’ basketball head coach Jimmie Pack said. The team has the same goals for the future as Pack. Tanner Ruda said his goal for the team in the future is to make it to State. Dylan Letourneau said he wants to get a State championship.

Zak Folchert
Freshman guard Dylan Letourneau drives baseline against the Lexington Minutemen.

As of now, the team is looking good, but Pack says they still have to work through some kinks. “We have a lot to figure out. As quick as we’ve gotten to 7-1, we could get to 7-7 just as quick. They’re only freshmen and they’re learning something new everyday,” said Pack. The season started out strong with a 48-28 win over McCook in what is traditionally a competitive game. Pack said, “I’ve looked back over seven years, and that game against McCook has always been close. Beating them by a wide margin out of the gates is a good sign.”

Zak Folchert
Freshman Dalton Caley fires from deep in the freshmen’s home game against Lexington.

As many may have presumed, a record that good requires a lot of hard work. For the freshmen, that includes running through plays, participating in shooting drills, and running– lots of running.  Although the running might be rough, the players understand that it will help them in game situations. “If we don’t hustle and work hard to get conditioning from the drills, we get it from running. At the beginning of the year it sucked, but it’s not really bad anymore since I’m in shape,” said Letourneau. He said it helps towards the end of games when the other team is tired. “We are all still fine [at the end of the game] and can keep playing. And it helps us out a lot on transitions and fast break points,” he said.