7 Sensational studs to watch this winter sports season

Junior Braiden Ruffin – Wrestling

Last year, Ruffin brought home a State championship to North Platte for the first time since 2012. This season, Ruffin’s goal is to become the first wrestler in school history to win back to back titles and have an undefeated record on the year. Ruffin trains off the mat by lifting weights, eating healthy, running, and going to unofficial practices. Everyone’s eyes will be on Ruffin as he strives to win back to back championships and have the first perfect record in NPHS wrestling history.

Senior Branton Flanders – Wrestling

After making State his sophomore season, expectations were high going into Flanders’ junior season. As one of the top wrestlers on the team, Flanders was projected by many to make State, but his season was riddled with a nagging shoulder injury and a disappointing preformance in Districts. After pinning an eventual state qualifier
in the first round, Flanders would go on to face the #1 seed, lose to him, and then proceed to lose again in the heartbreaks. Flanders said, “I got thrown in a five point move and I shouldn’t have. I lost by two points. [I was] really, really upset because the kid I beat in the first round made it and it was the second time I beat him this season. I should’ve made State.” This year Flanders’ goal is to make it back to State. Making State would mean a lot to Flanders. Flanders said, “It will mean a lot to me because it’s my last year wrestling ever and I want to make it the best year I’ve had.”

Junior Bryson Krull – Basketball

As the only returning starter, Krull is expected by many to be one of the better players on this year’s team. Many basketball fans are very excited to see how he has improved and what he will bring to the team this year. Krull said, “My favorite thing about last basketball season was being able step up as a leader and make an impact. I’m excited to see the growth of our team and to get back out on the court. My goal for this season is to be the best we can be fundamentally as a team.” Krull has been preparing for the season by working out to stay in good shape and getting up shots in the morning. Expected to retain his starting position, Krull will play a major role for this year’s boy’s basketball team.

Senior Abri Contos – Basketball

As the only senior expected to make the team, Contos is expected to carry a heavy burden for the Bulldogs this year. “I want to finish what we started last year. Last year we improved a lot as a team and we found connections with each other,” said Contos. Contos felt like last season was a learning experience for her, but that she also improved a lot. She wants to push herself all the way to the end of the season. “I am going to start this year and want to just help the team. I played quite a bit of varsity last year, and it was pretty nerve-racking and intense and a lot harder because the players were a lot better and more aggresive.” Her experince and leadership will be very valuable to a young Lady Dawgs’ team.

Junior Scott Dike – Swimming

Being one of the better swimmers on the team and a junior, Many are excited to see what Dike will bring to the team and what leadership he will show. Dike’s goals are similar to Heffernan’s. Dike qualified for State as an alternate in the 200m medley his sophomore year. Dike said, “I’m excited about how hard  our relay team is going to work to nake State.” Another goal for Dike is to qualify for State in the 100m butterfly.

Senior Syble Heffernan: Swimming

Heffernan is the holder of the 100m breatstroke record at North Platte and aims to break the record again this season. Along with the breaststroke record, she is aiming to break 1-2 more records and qualifify for state in an individual race instead of just relays. Heffernan said, “ I qualified individually my freshman and sophomore year , but I missed it last year. Being able to qualify this year would mean a lot to me because it’s my last chance to do the best that I can at the highest level.”

Junior Kyliee Elsten: Basketball

After earning some varsity experience last season, Elsten knows she will have to work for her spot. “ I will work a lot harder to prove myself to the coaches and I want to improve my shot and ball handling skills,” said Elsten. “My goal is just to be the best I can be and encourage the freshmen that will most likely play varsity to try their best.” Several of last year’s player will not be returning because of graduation, injuries, and other reasons. Elsten’s motivation and leadership, along with her skills on the court, should be a major help to this experience-depleted Lady Dawgs’ team.