Bringing the magic to life

Syble Heffernan

Seniors Angela Twidwell (Babette), Max Wohler (Lumiere), Hope Wilke (Mrs. Potts), Tiffany Hall (Dresser), and Christian Bartling (Cogsworth), perform “Human Again” as the palace household objects.

Most of us have seen the Disney movie; a compelling love story between a kind, compassionate, headstrong village girl and the hairy beastly creature who eventually opens his heart to her as his curse falls away. The movie is full of singing, dancing, talking household objects, catchy music, and heartwarming moments. This spring, North Platte High School students will bring this classic tale to life in a whole new way during their performance of the “Beauty and the Beast” musical.

During rehearsal, some students gathered around the piano at the front of the stage, some practiced choreography in groups led by senior Angela Twidwell (Babette), others ran lines, and other individuals clustered backstage or in the theater seats waiting for their scene. The energy of the music, movements, and characterization flowed freely throughout the Performing Arts Center. It was immediately evident how connected these students are to their characters and bringing forth the magic of this musical.

The main cast members are all in agreement that this year’s musical has brought them and the rest of the cast out of their box. “We’ve had to overcome the fear of putting ourselves out there and work on being as crazy and spontaneous as we need to be,” said junior Emma Wilkinson (Belle). “Having the part I have in this musical has really helped me step outside my comfort zone and take on the role of being someone I’m not naturally. I’ve grown to be less afraid of putting myself out there and being different. It’s made me so proud to be part of the music department,” Wilkinson said. Senior Hope Wilke (Mrs. Potts) says that people should get excited to experience high school students getting out of their box and acting ridiculous. Both Wilkinson and Wilke agree that costumes help a lot in the transformation of characters and bringing about the spontaneity and magic of the story.

Something especially unique and exciting about this year’s production is the complexity of characterization. “There is so much depth in character. Everyone, whether they play a villager or a lead role, goes all out with their character. We all create a whole new backstory behind our character in order to become one with them,” said sophomore Jake French (Gaston). Senior Seth Mavigliano (Beast), is excited for the high energy effect of this performance. “There are a lot more group numbers and more students on the stage at a time to show off their acting and choral abilities. People will be drawn in by the energy,” Mavigliano said.

The energy of this show has certainly brought the cast together in ways they never would’ve expected. “There are so many major roles in this year’s musical, we all have to work together and get comfortable with our characters. This has brought us together a lot, the cast is really fun and we all get along,” said Wilke.

The brilliance of the characterization and energetic performance feel has brought no shortage of challenges to the cast. “It’s definitely hard for some individuals to step out of their comfort zones,” said Wilke. Cast members agree that while the increased group work is a great addition, it does make things challenging with so many people having to remember things. “The two snow days we had, on top of not having Mentor Advisory period anymore, took a lot away from our rehearsal time. Without the 30 minutes of M/A we have to start rehearsals an hour earlier in order to have accurate time to practice choreography, lines, songs, etc.,” said Mavigliano. “Having three hour practices three nights a week can be a lot. It’s a long time for everyone to stay focused,” Wilke said.

In addition to the depth of characters and onstage energy, there are other things for the public to look forward to in this musical. “They can look forward to more polished group numbers, for sure.  Last year was very focused on single actors in terms of songs, or even small groups.  This year, practically every song has large groups involved,” said senior Max Wohler (Lumiere). Wilkinson said, “It’s so thrilling and exciting to witness the intensity of the fighting scenes in this show. The music is also going to be really good.” Everything, from the deep connection of students with their characters, to varying choral abilities, to advanced choreography, will be present in the remaking of this classic Disney story; the show is something you won’t want to miss.

**Check out this month’s print issue of The Bulldogger on Friday, March 4th to see more on this year’s musical**