Hungry 2 overcome

online swimH2O is the motto for this year’s North Platte swim and dive team; they are Hungry 2 Overcome. “We swim in a pool that is not legal; we aren’t allowed to do dive starts in our pool. So the swimmers have to overcome many things in their season,” said coach Brian Jahnke. “With that being said, they compete very well on a weekly basis. They don’t let that hold them back, they overcome!” Senior Cassidy Eggers has had some obstacles of her own in the form of injuries. “Even after shoulder surgery my sophomore year, I still have a lot of pain, but I’m pushing through and hoping to finish strong for my senior year,” Eggers said. “The team goal is to qualify for state again in our relays, and cut time.”
The Bulldogs already have five state qualifying times in two relays; and three individual races. The girls 200 medley relay consists of senior Kelly Fitzpatrick; backstroke; junior Syble Heffernan, breaststroke, senior Kayleigh Wagner, butterfly; and Eggers, Freestyle. The boys 200 medley relay consists of freshman Montana Heffernan, backstroke; sophomore Zane Leibhart, breaststroke; senior Ethan Darling, Butterfly; and senior Brian Kennedy, freestyle. Syble Heffernan and Leibhart had the individual qualifying events, Syble Heffernan will be swimming the 200 Individual Medley, and the 100 Breaststroke. Leibhart will be making his first appearance at state, swimming the 100 breaststroke. Although swimming may not have the same team dynamics as other sports, Eggers says her favorite part about swim is the support that the team gives each other as individuals. “It [joining swim team] was a little bit intimidating at first, but everyone was so nice, and very helpful,” said freshman Karsyn Butler. “It’s harder than I thought it would be, but it’s a great atmosphere, and it’s helping me stay in shape.”
“The hardest part about swim is not being able to breathe! It’s like running a sprint without breathing,” said Eggers. She started swimming competitively her freshman year and is considering swimming at UNK or Nebraska Wesleyan. She said she is still undecided; because her faith and her grades come first. “I swim because I love it, and it challenges me every day.” One of Eggers main goals is to qualify for state in an individual event. The season still holds opportunities for Eggers and the rest of the team, as they are just coming off a meet in McCook and will head to the Kearney invite tomorrow.