Snow day dismay

NPHS Bulldogger

The weather outside is frightful, but the school is so delightful. I’ve got no place to go, so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow; until eventually a certain windchill and level of snow causes mass hysteria.

Ethan Darling, Editor-in-Chief

You wake up bright and early to a cold chill in the air. Racing over to your window, you notice a ice frosting the ground. The sky rains down the sweet cries of softly covered snow. Your heart pumps, the idea sparks in your head. Maybe we will have a snow day. You head down to check the TV. All the surrounding counties are on a blizzard watch. You see Hershey is having a late start, Stapleton doesn’t have school. Yet you keep checking the list. To no surprise, the North Platte School District has not shut down.
Really is this a true surprise to you? Probably not, year after year we seem to never get a snow day. Why you may ask? According to Principal James Ayres we don’t require them due to the large number of students that live in town versus out of town. These smaller school districts bus in kids to school thus making it unsafe on hazardous roads. Which is contradictory to the fact that I see so many young new drivers make the mistake of not slowing down this time of year. You’ve got kids flying down the road like idiots, slamming on their brakes only to find that they caused a fender bender in the parking lot.

So what does this all mean for the common student? Be smart when you drive, ultimately the chances of having a snow day is slim to none so my best advice to anyone is A) slow down for once in your life B) Leave earlier to avoid traffic C) just don’t come to school. Side note: I do not condone the act of cutting class or skipping school, but when it comes to safety. Do what benefits you best.