Signing Day

Will Stone

Dawgs, left to right, Josie Cox, Jayden Kruse, Allison Kuenle, and Olivia NIcholson sign with various next-level schools on National Signing Day

Today, four North Platte High School athletes let it be known, in black and white, that they would be playing at the next level. Olivia Nicholson, Josie Cox, Allison Kuenle, and Jayden Kruse all signed letters of intent on Fall National Signing Day.

Jayden Kruse signs a letter of intent to play baseball for the University of Nebraska-Kearney.

Kruse will play baseball at University of Nebraska-Kearney. A host of First National teammates huddled with him after signing and gave a cry of “Nats!” The Loper baseball team went 29-21 last season, and surely Kruse hopes to help their cause in the coming years.

Allison Kuenle and Josie Cox sign a letters of intent to play volleyball for the University of Nebraska-Kearney.

Kuenle and Cox will also attend UNK, playing for Rick Squier’s Lady Lopers volleyball team. The team currently is 26-5, undefeated at home, coming off of a big win at Wayne State. UNK will end the regular season at home against Southwest Baptist University and Missouri Southern State. Cox and Kuenle are nice additions to the team. Cox brings a 6′ 2″ imposing frame to the Lopers, striking fear into opponents hearts at the net. Kuenle leads the team with 397 kills on the season, and an impressive 754 kills in her High School career. UNK’s net presence will surely be bolstered by these two North Platte seniors.

Olivia Nicholson signs a letter of intent to play volleyball for Colorado State University

Nicholson was no stranger to college recruitment. Committing to Colorado State at the beginning of her junior year, she never wavered through the process. Today’s signing deadline came and she admitted some nerves, but did not know the reason for their existence. Her older sister claimed to know why. “Your signature is horrible,” said University of Nebraska-Lincoln freshman Ellie Nicholson. Whether the writing was neat or not was not a question today, as Nicholson finished the process at the table in the Dawg House. With many friends and family members in attendance, it was a solid finish to the saga. “Ollie” as affectionately called by family and teammates, will join the #13 ranked, 21-3, Colorado State Rams, who are currently on a 14-game win streak. Nicholson’s kill total for the season sits at 325,  and the 6-foot senior is a powerful middle hitter.

As we look at the future of these successful Dawgs, we know that their High School careers are not over, they have some unfinished business to take care of in this 2015 season. A state title sits in Linoln, Nebraska, a title that the whole team thinks they can win. The first game of the deciding tournament will be tomorrow, November 12, 2015, at the Pinnacle Bank Arena, 5:30 p.m., against the Lady Knights of Lincoln-Southeast.

Allison Kuenle, Olivia Nicholson, and Josie Cox with their coach Laura Miller
A host of Bulldogs, past, present, and future, came out to watch these current Dawgs sign with their respective schools
Back: Hayley Schanou, Morgan Raska, Alex Neff, Madison Raska, and Sami Mauch Front: Allison Kuenle, Olivia Nicholson, and Josie Cox. Dawgs Volleyball players pose after Kuenle, Nicholson, and Cox sign.