Moving on early

NPHS student is graduating early from NPHS.

Jonathan Dekleva, Editor-In-Chief

Senior Maggie Cook has big plans for the future and she’s starting right away.  Cook is one of dozens of seniors whose last days in North Platte High Schools hallways and classrooms will be today.

Evan Perlinger

Principal Scott Siegel said that there are 70 students graduating early this December, up from previous years’ 45-65 students. “Several students are looking to begin taking college courses, as soon as possible,” said Siegel.

Siegel said that this year, over half of the applicants have faced economic hardship during their time at NPHS. He also said many of the early grads plan to start college immediately after graduation.

Cook said graduating earlier than most of her class feels somewhat surreal. “I’m going straight off to college,” said Cook. 

Graduating mid-year also affects sports and clubs that seniors are involved in. “I will not be doing speech and debate this year,” says Cook. “It was a decision that I had to outweigh.”

I’m going straight off to college

— Senior Maggie Cook

Speech has been a large part of Cook’s high school career, and she is proud of her successes. “I have come to terms with it,” she said. “It’s okay that I won’t be doing it this year; I have to move on.”

Cook thinks attending the University of Nebraska at Lincoln as a chemistry major starting in January is a little intimidating. “It’s a new adventure, but it’s a little scary,” Cook said.

The senior said the reality of leaving friends and family is starting to sink in. “I’m honestly really excited,” Cook said. “I’m counting down the days.”